Today we will look at the form पीनवक्षाः from श्रीमद्वाल्मीकि-रामायणम् ।
समः समविभक्ताङ्गः स्निग्धवर्णः प्रतापवान् |
पीनवक्षा विशालाक्षो लक्ष्मीवाञ्छुभलक्षणः || १-१-११||
Gita Press translation “He is of medium stature (neither very tall nor very short), has well-proportioned limbs, has an unctuous complexion, is mighty, has a rounded chest, large eyes, is full of splendor and has auspicious marks on his body. “
‘पीनवक्षस्’ gets प्रातिपदिकसंज्ञा by 1-2-46 कृत्तद्धितसमासाश्च। The विवक्षा here is प्रथमा-एकवचनम्। 4-1-2 स्वौजसमौट्छष्टाभ्याम्भिस्ङेभ्याम्भ्यस्ङसिँभ्याम्भ्यस्ङसोसाम्ङ्योस्सुप् mandates the प्रत्ययाः सुँ, औ, जस् etc. after the प्रातिपदिकम् ‘पीनवक्षस्’।
Note: ‘वक्षस्’ is a नपुंसकलिङ्ग-प्रातिपदिकम्। But ‘पीनवक्षस्’ is a बहुव्रीहि-समास: here. This makes it an adjective. We will be declining it पुंलिङ्गे because it is referring to श्रीराम:।
(1) पीनवक्षस् + सुँ ।
(3) पीनवक्षास् + स् । By 6-4-14 अत्वसन्तस्य चाधातोः , since the सुँ-प्रत्यय: which is not a सम्बुद्धिः follows, the उपधा (the अकार: prior to the सकार:) in the word पीनवक्षस् is elongated.
1. In the first verse of which chapter of the गीता do we have a प्रातिपदिकम् similar to the one used in this example? (All these same steps will be required there also.)
2. Where else (besides in पीनवक्षाः) has the सूत्रम् 6-4-14 अत्वसन्तस्य चाधातोः been used in this verse?
3. Please list the two synonyms for the word “वक्ष:” (प्रातिपदिकम् “वक्षस्” neuter, meaning “chest”) as given in the अमरकोश:।
उरो वत्सं च वक्षश्च ।।२-६-७८।।
(इति त्रीणि “उरस:” नामानि)
4. What would have been the final form in this example if the सुँ-प्रत्यय: had the सम्बुद्धि-सञ्ज्ञा?
5. What will be the तृतीया-बहुवचनम् and सप्तमी-बहुवचनम् of the प्रातिपदिकम् “पीनवक्षस्” पुंलिङ्गे?
6. How would you say this in Sanskrit?
“We have not studied compounds.” Use the adjective प्रातिपदिकम् “अधीतवत्” (“अधीतवती” feminine) to convey the meaning of “have studied.”
7. Answer question 6 – but this time make it passive – “Compounds (have) not been studied by us.” Use the passive adjective प्रातिपदिकम् “अधीत” for “been studied.”
1. Do पदच्छेद: of लक्ष्मीवाञ्छुभलक्षणः and mention the relevant rules required. You will need one सूत्रम् (8-3-31 शि तुक्) which has not been discussed in the class.
1. Can you recall a सूत्रम् which contains a प्रत्याहार: that has only two letters?
Note: A प्रत्याहार: will never have only one letter for the obvious reason that such a प्रत्याहार: will serve no purpose. A single letter can be referred to directly without the need for a प्रत्याहार:।
2. The हकार: is the only letter that is repeated in the माहेश्वर-सूत्राणि। In the प्रत्याहार: “हल्” which हकार: is being referred to – is it the earlier one or the later one in the माहेश्वर-सूत्राणि? (See note above.)