Today we will look at the word “धिय:” from the गायत्री-मन्त्र: – “धियो यो न: प्रचोदयात्“
धी gets प्रातिपदिकसंज्ञा by 1-2-45 अर्थवदधातुरप्रत्ययः प्रातिपदिकम्. प्रत्ययाः सुँ, औ, जस् etc. are mandated by
4-1-2 स्वौजसमौट्छष्टाभ्याम्भिस्ङेभ्याम्भ्यस्ङसिँभ्याम्भ्यस्ङसोसाम्ङ्योस्सुप्. The विवक्षा here is द्वितीया विभक्तिः बहुवचनम् so we begin with
1. धी + शस्
5. धियः Applying रुँत्व-विसर्गौ (8-2-66 ससजुषो रुँ, 8-3-15 खरवसानयोर्विसर्जनीयः)
1. Which rule would have applied after step 2 if 6-4-77 were not there? What would have been the (undesired) form?
2. Why did 6-4-82 एरनेकाचोऽसंयोगपूर्वस्य not apply in step 3? Which required condition(s) was/were not satisfied?
3. Among the 24 forms in the declension table of the प्रातिपदिकम् “धी” how many are the form “धिय:”?
4. The ending ईकार: of the term “धी” comes from a धातु: (Otherwise we couldn’t have used 6-4-77) Which धातु: is it?
5. The प्रातिपदिकम् in the word “यो” is “यद्” Though we have not yet discussed consonant-ending stems, we have covered all the rules required to derive this form. Can you show the derivation?