Today we will look at the form हरिणा mIs from श्रीमद्भागवतम् 7.1.40.
जज्ञाते तौ दितेः पुत्रौ दैत्यदानववन्दितौ । हिरण्यकशिपुर्ज्येष्ठो हिरण्याक्षोऽनुजस्ततः ।। ७-१-३९ ।।
हतो हिरण्यकशिपुर्हरिणा सिंहरूपिणा । हिरण्याक्षो धरोद्धारे बिभ्रता सौकरं वपुः ।। ७-१-४० ।।
धरोद्धारनिमित्ते तत्प्रतिघाती हतः ।। ४० ।।
Gita Press translation – They were born as Hiraṇyakaśipu and Hiraṇyākṣa (the two sons of Diti), the adored of the Daityas and the Dānavas (alike). Hiraṇyakaśipu was the elder; while Hiraṇyākṣa, the younger, was born afterwards (39). Hiraṇyakaśipu was slain by Śrī Hari, who had taken the form of a lion (Lord Nṛsiṁha); and Hiraṇyākṣa was killed by Him even as He assumed the body of a boar for the sake of lifting up the earth (from water) (40).
हरिणा is तृतीया-एकवचनम् of the पुंलिङ्ग-प्रातिपदिकम् ‘हरि’।
(1) हरि + टा । By 4-1-2 स्वौजसमौट्छष्टाभ्याम्भिस्ङेभ्याम्भ्यस्ङसिभ्याम्भ्यस्ङसोसाम्ङ्योस्सुप्। As per 2-3-69 न लोकाव्ययनिष्ठाखलर्थतृनाम् – A sixth case affix (‘ङस्’, ‘ओस्’, ‘आम्’) is not used (to denote कर्ता (the doer) or कर्म (the object)) of an action denoted by any one of the following –
(i) (a word ending in a substitute in place of) the affix ‘ल्’ (लँट्, लिँट् etc.)
(ii) (a word ending in) the affix ‘उ’ or an affix ending in ‘उ’
(iii) (a word ending in) the affix ‘उक’
(iv) an indeclinable
(v) (a word ending in) a निष्ठा affix (ref. 1-1-26 क्तक्तवतू निष्ठा।)
(vi) (a word ending in) the affix ‘खल्’ or any affix having the same meaning as that of ‘खल्’
(vii) (a word ending in) an affix from the प्रत्याहार: ‘तृन्’ which is formed starting from ‘तृ’ in 3-2-124 लटः शतृशानचावप्रथमासमानाधिकरणे down to 3-2-135 तृन्।
हरिणा हिरण्यकशिपुर्हतः (Hiraṇyakaśipu was slain by Śrī Hari). ‘हत’ ends in the affix ‘क्त’ (prescribed by 3-2-102 निष्ठा।) The affix ‘क्त’ gets the designation निष्ठा by 1-1-26 क्तक्तवतू निष्ठा। Therefore the agent ‘हरि’ of the action (to slay) takes the third case affix ‘टा’ by the सूत्रम् 2-3-18 कर्तृकरणयोस्तृतीया and not the sixth case affix ‘ङस्’ (which would have been prescribed by the सूत्रम् 2-3-65 कर्तृकर्मणोः कृति)।
‘हरि’ gets the घि-सञ्ज्ञा by 1-4-7 शेषो घ्यसखि।
(2) हरि + आ । अनुबन्ध-लोपः by 1-3-7 चुटू and 1-3-9 तस्य लोपः।
(3) हरिना । By 7-3-120 आङो नाऽस्त्रियाम् – Following a अङ्गम् having घि-सञ्ज्ञा, the affix ‘आङ्’ is replaced by ‘ना’, but not in the feminine gender. ‘आङ्’ is an ancient name for the (instrumental singular) affix ‘टा’।
(4) हरिणा । By 8-4-2 अट्कुप्वाङ्नुम्व्यवायेऽपि।
1. Where has the सूत्रम् 2-3-69 न लोकाव्ययनिष्ठाखलर्थतृनाम् been used in verses 14-17 of Chapter Sixteen of the गीता?
2. Where has the सूत्रम् 6-4-37 अनुदात्तोपदेशवनतितनोत्यादीनामनुनासिकलोपो झलि क्ङिति been used in the verses?
3. Where has the affix ‘ड’ been used in the verses?
4. Which सूत्रम् prescribes the substitution ‘इ’ in the form बिभ्रता?
5. Derive the compound तत्प्रतिघाती (प्रातिपदिकम् ‘तत्प्रतिघातिन्’, पुंलिङ्गे प्रथमा-एकवचनम्) used in the commentary.
6. How would you say this in Sanskrit?
“Rāvaṇa was slain by Śrī Rāma.”
1. Where has the सूत्रम् 6-1-110 ङसिङसोश्च been used in the verses?
2. Derive the form जज्ञाते from the verbal root √जन् (जनीँ प्रादुर्भावे ४. ४४).