Today we will look at the form भीरुः fNs from श्रीमद्-वाल्मीकि-रामायणम् 5.31.17
यथारूपां यथावर्णां यथालक्ष्मवतीं च ताम् ।। ५-३१-१५ ।।
अश्रौषं राघवस्याहं सेयमासादिता मया । विररामैवमुक्त्वासौ वाचं वानरपुङ्गवः ।। ५-३१-१६ ।।
जानकी चापि तच्छ्रुत्वा विस्मयं परमं गता । ततः सा वक्रकेशान्ता सुकेशी केशसंवृतम् । उन्नम्य वदनं भीरुः शिंशपावृक्षमैक्षत |।। ५-३१-१७ ।।
निशम्य सीता वचनं कपेश्च दिशश्च सर्वाः प्रदिशश्च वीक्ष्य । स्वयं प्रहर्षं परमं जगाम सर्वात्मना राममनुस्मरन्ती ।। ५-३१-१८ ।।
सा तिर्यगूर्ध्वं च तथा ह्यधस्तान्निरीक्षमाणा तमचिन्त्यबुद्धिम् । ददर्श पिङ्गाधिपतेरमात्यं वातात्मजं सूर्यमिवोदयस्थम् ।। ५-३१-१९ ।।
Gita Press translation – “She has been found by me here endowed with a comeliness, complexion and bodily marks similar to those of which I had heard from the mouth of Śrī Rāma (a scion of Raghu).” Having delivered the aforesaid speech that bull among monkeys fell silent (latter half of verse 15-16). Sītā (Janaka’s daughter) herself was struck with supreme wonder to hear that speech. Raising her face screened with (dishevelled) hair, that timid lady with charming curly locks thereupon looked up into the Śiṁśapā tree (on which Hanumān was perched) (17) Hearing the monkey’s speech and looking inquiringly into all the (four) quarters as well as into the intermediate points, Sītā experienced supreme rapture thinking (all the time) of Śrī Rāma with all her being (18). Glancing from side to side as well as up and down, she espied the aforesaid Hanumān (son of the wind-god) of inconceivable intelligence, a minister of Sugrīva (the suzerain ruler of monkeys), and resembling the sun risen on the eastern mountain (19).
बिभेति तच्छीला = भीरु: ।
The प्रातिपदिकम् ‘भीरु’ is derived from the verbal root √भी (ञिभी भये ३. २).
(1) भी + क्रु । By 3-2-174 भियः क्रुक्लुकनौ – To denote an agent who performs an action because of his nature/habit or sense of duty or skill, the affix ‘क्रु’ as well as ‘क्लुकन्’ may be used following the verbal root √भी (ञिभी भये ३. २). See question 1.
(2) भी + रु । अनुबन्ध-लोपः by 1-3-8 लशक्वतद्धिते, 1-3-9 तस्य लोपः। Note: 1-1-5 क्क्ङिति च stops 7-3-84 सार्वधातुकार्धधातुकयोः। Note: The affix ‘रु’ is prohibited from taking the augment ‘इट्’ by 7-2-8 नेड् वशि कृति – A कृत् affix (ref. 3-1-93) beginning with a letter of the ‘वश्’ प्रत्याहार: is prohibited from taking the augment ‘इट्’।
= भीरु ।
‘भीरु’ gets प्रातिपदिक-सञ्ज्ञा by 1-2-46 कृत्तद्धितसमासाश्च – A word form that ends in a कृत्-प्रत्ययः or a तद्धित-प्रत्ययः and so also compounds get the name प्रातिपदिकम्।
The विवक्षा is स्त्रीलिङ्गे, प्रथमा-एकवचनम्।
(3) भीरु + सुँ । By 4-1-2 स्वौजसमौट्छष्टाभ्याम्भिस्ङेभ्याम्भ्यस्ङसिँभ्याम्भ्यस्ङसोसाम्ङ्योस्सुप्।
1. What would be the final form in this example if the affix ‘क्लुकन्’ were to be used (instead of ‘क्रु’)? What would it be is the affix ‘क्रुकन्’ were to be used (by the वार्तिकम् – क्रुकन्नपि वाच्य:)?
3. Which सूत्रम् prescribes the वृद्धि: substitution in अश्रौषम्?
4. Can you spot the augment ‘नुँम्’ in the verses?
5. Where has the सूत्रम् 6-4-52 निष्ठायां सेटि been used in the verses?
6. How would you say this in Sanskrit?
“Even though I am not timid (by nature), I still feel afraid in this empty house at night.” Use the adjective प्रातिपदिकम् ‘शून्य’ for ’empty.’
1. Where has the सूत्रम् 7-3-111 घेर्ङिति been used in the verses?
2. Can you spot the augment ‘आट्’ in a तिङन्तं पदम् in the verses?